Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Malta

Hi,
I had another good week of classes, mostly on ethics, especially biomedical ethics. There is so much going on in this world that we know so little about. Some of it is frightening.
I spent last weekend in Malta which has so much history from prehistoric people to the infamous Knights of Malta to the World War II bombings they received as they held the island for the allies. The oldest standing temple in the world is in Malta. Named Hagar Qim, it was built in about 3600 BC. Below is a picture of the entry to the temple and a picture of an altar with a design of a tree chiseled out of the rock - this is before the bronze and iron ages, so all the work was done with stone.
I also listed a youtube internet site of a church in Malta. From my camera I videotaped the Church of Mary, Mosta which has one of the largest domes in the world. During World War II, during mass, a German bomb went through the roof, hit a side wall and fell to the floor spinning, without exploding. Three hundred people were unharmed. Two other bombs hit the domed roof and bounced off. The people of Mosta told me that this was their miracle. God surely was with them that day.
God's blessings to all of you. I hope all is well at home. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Fr. Pete







http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S0eENS7ekI

No comments:

Post a Comment