Search This Blog

Monday, October 4, 2010

Pompeii

Hi,
God's blessings to all of you back home as you enter the season of Autumn. I miss the colors of this season, but I am not complaining. I also miss the parish dinners and other events.
I am still seeing much of Italy and attending class at the North American College.
Last weekend, I toured Pompeii, the Roman city of 20,000 people that was buried under 25 feet of ash from the Mt. Vesuvius volcanic eruption in 79 AD. One forth of the city still has not been excavated. I have attached some pictures of the ruins of the city, some paintings on streets. So far, 3000 bodies have been found in the ruins of Pompeii, a number that had to effect all of the Roman empire. I cannot imagine the devastation for the area where nine cites were destroyed. It reminds me of the fragility of life.
This week in class we are studying the lessons of Paul in the Bible. It gives me more understanding of his person and message.
Peace to all at home. Enjoy the season.
Fr. Pete







1 comment:

  1. My son and his wife toured Italy a couple of years ago. I'd love to do that someday... Actually, I'd love to see the Carthusian monastery (Grand Chartreuse) in France, although I know they don't take visitors.

    ReplyDelete